Overflow [part two]

Romans 15:13 // 2 Corinthians 4:15

2010
A New Perspective.

Life as I know it is...Different.
Change is good.



Monday, May 31, 2010

Untie The Bow

I'm stuck again-pondering how funny true life can be...
.
As in, when you come to certain points in your own life that you've admired (almost jealously) in other people's lives--or perhaps poured your passion into their big moments-- it doesn't quite feel the same once you encounter your own personal experience-being "in the spotlight." I don't think so much that it's a bad thing, but instead of trying to make all the exterior look grand, or getting caught up in what things look like to other people, you're simply excited to enjoy the real thing.
.
It's as though all those previous times, you thought you knew exactly what you wanted by observing the "public" appearance of that friend, family member, role model of some sort, etc; and you focused so much on what it was going to look like for you once you got there--BUT you forgot to stop and wonder how they were actually feeling during the event/moment/time...
.
Are you missing the point?

When you receive a gift box wrapped in a pretty bow, do you only stop and marvel at the ribbon without even opening the real gift?
.
(with a delighted gasp) "Oh, this long, beautiful, silky, gold ribbon-so smooth to the touch-it twinkles in my eyes when I catch a glimpse. It's what I've always wanted!"
Uh, no. You look at the ribbon and take it off right away- to open, enjoy, and use the gift inside.
.
Did you ever think life could be the same way? Take the stupid ribbons off and enjoy the dang gift! It may be awkward opening it if people are watching you (like it is on your birthday, hello!)-and some of them might get jealous, but it's time to start using what's been given to you rather than staring at the wrapping-and making sure that it looks put together. And who cares about the person's "ribbons" next to you. We're all so insecure--I guarantee, that when not so many people are watching them, they can't wait to untie the bow either.
.
I'm telling you, life is funny like that. Once you're the one experiencing the real thing-somehow you stop caring so much about that appearance you always admired-that you always thought was a big deal-that you wished for. Yeah, because now you have something better than the frivolous silky bow, you've got the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment